WHAT IS IVF?
IVF stands for “In vitro Fertilization”. This method has helped infertile couples since 1978 all over the world.
IVF is the process by which eggs are removed from the ovaries and mixed with sperms in a laboratory culture dish. Fertilisation takes place in this dish, “in vitro”, which means “in glass”. 6 million IVF babies have been born since the first in 1978.
WHO NEEDS IVF?
Previously IVF was used in conditions, such as tubal factor. IVF is also recommended if simpler treatment fails. Below is a list of common indications for IVF treatment.
• Fallopian Tube Damage/Tubal Factor
• Male Factor Infertility
• Age Related Infertility
• Unexplained Infertility
WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF SUCCESS?
Generally at good center all over the world average chance of success is 40%. Having this perspective may help you think about trying more than one cycle, and feel less discouraged if the first one doesn’t work to.
HOW LONG THE TREATMENT TAKES?
One cycle of IVF takes between four weeks and six weeks to complete. The couple can expect to spend about half a day at the clinic for egg retrieval and fertilization procedures.
STEP BY STEP IVF
1. Preliminary checkup of husband & wife
2. Baseline hormone levels of wife
3. Drugs treatment (injections) to stimulate egg growth
4. Ultrasound monitoring of treatment
a. To measure the growths of follicles
b. To adjust dose of drugs
c. Prevent serious side effects (Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrome)
5. Monitoring is carried out:
• By trans-vaginal ultrasound scanning (TVS)
• By measure hormones in blood
6. Egg pickup
7. Semen collection & processing
8. Review of eggs after 24 hours for fertilization and division
9. Embryo transfer (ET)
USE OF DONOR’S SPERM
We strictly use husband’s spermatozoa (male sperm) and Wife’s egg. Donor’s spermatozoa (male germs), egg and surrogacy facilities are not available in our clinic.